I recently discovered a creative and fun Kellogg’s Rice Krispie Treat recipe (Surprise Pumpkin Treats) in one of my many recipe/family magazines. (I don’t know which one because it has been recycled already. LOL.) We haven’t made cereal treats in years, so I thought the kids would enjoy the project, and sharing them with friends.
3 TBSP Butter
4 cups Mini Marshmallows (or equivalent)
3 drops Red Food Coloring
15 drops Yellow Food Coloring
6 cups Puffed Rice Cereal
12-14 small Chocolate Candies of Choice
6-7 Pretzel Twist Sticks, broken in half
1. Melt butter in large pot.
2. Add marshmallows and stir continuously until melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add red and yellow food coloring and stir.
4. Add cereal and mix well.
5. Prepare candies and pretzels.
6. Place handful of marshmallow/cereal mix in greased hand along with one chocolate candy. Form a ball, enclosing the candy.
7. Place cereal ball on non-stick surface and push down gently until ball is slightly flattened on the bottom.
8. Add pretzel stick by gently pushing it into the ball.
9. Set aside to cool and harden before serving.
Note: The original recipe calls for green gum drops (to form the stem) and green frosting (to draw leaves/vines). We substituted the gum drops and frosting for half a pretzel twist stick.