All right… I know this is ridiculous, but I’m head over heels for this pizza dough. Speechless describes my reaction to the results. This picture was taken during the prebake stage. Do you see the rising of the dough? Air bubbles! The crust is perfect in every way. So, before I patent the recipe (lol) I’ll share it with you, my friends.
1 cup Warm Water
2 TBSP Sugar
1 envelope Active Dry Yeast
1.5 TSP Salt
2 TBSP Olive Oil
2-2.5 cups Bread Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 TBSP Soy Flour
1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree (or pumpkin pie filling)
1 TSP ground Cinnamon (optional)
First things first… decide what flavor you want in your pizza crust. If you want a more pumpkin pie type flavor (for a dessert style pizza perhaps), use the pie filling pumpkin and cinnamon or use puree with pumpkin pie spices and cinnamon. If you’re looking for a traditional flavor and are adding the pumpkin for enhanced nutrition, skip the added seasonings.
1. Mix water, yeast and sugar together in a mixing bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Add salt, oil, cinnamon and pumpkin to the yeast mix.
3. Add 1 cup of bread flour and mix.
4. Add 1 cup of whole wheat flour and mix.
5. Move dough to a floured surface (table, counter, etc.) and knead in 1-1.5 cups bread flour.
6. Knead well and form a ball.
7. Coat the ball with oil and place in an oiled bowl.
8. Let rise for 1 hour.
9. Roll dough ball in flour and knead lighly.
10. Cut dough ball into two pieces and knead each into a ball.
11. Roll out each piece into a circle and prepare to prebake on pizza pan or stone.
12. Prebake dough at 425F for 5-7 minutes.
13. Freeze or refrigerate dough if desired or immediately add sauce and toppings.
14. After toppings have been added, bake at 425F until cheese is melted and serve.
Have fun with it, creating your own designer pizza. Use toppings such as roasted sweet potatoes, zucchini, caramelized onions, peppers, etc. OR top it with baked apples, pears, cinnamon and sugar crumble AND THEN top it with a drizzle of frosting. How’s that for a surprise at the dinner table?