4 cups Apple Cider (make your own using our recipe or buy it from our co-op)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
0.5 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
4 TBSP Butter
1. Reduce cider and vanilla in skillet on medium to high heat until it is approximately 2 cups in volume. (This may take 60 to 90 minutes.) Stir frequently.
2. Add brown sugar and butter and continue to cook and stir. Cook until mixture begins to thicken. It should look like this:
3. Allow to cook for another 5-20 minutes (depending how thick you want the final caramel).
4. Remove from heat and allow to thicken. Serve with fresh fruit or pour over brownies or other dessert.
5. Store in refrigerator and reheat as needed for future use.
Want additional ideas of how to use this recipe? Consider dipping chilled apples on a stick into the sauce. Then roll the apples in toppings of your choice (nuts, sprinkles, chocolate chips, dried fruit, pretzel pieces, etc.). Continue to chill apples until you are ready to enjoy them.
Recipe inspiration courtesy of Epicurious.