I decided to try something new with our eggplant from last week’s box. I wanted a recipe that would allow me to add eggplant to several other staple dishes without it being noticeable. So, with a little thought, I decided to roast the eggplant with some tomatoes and herbs. The aroma of these vegetables and herbs roasting was incredible. I’m sure it had more to do with the garlic then anything else, but nonetheless, it was wonderful.
If your family enjoys eggplant, you may choose to only roast it and serve with pasta, chicken, rice, etc. But if you find some resistance at the table or want to freeze it in several smaller portions for later use, consider pureeing it. I’ll be honest, I hid it in a lasagna today and NO ONE noticed. They sure did enjoy dinner though. LOL
1 Eggplant, peeled and sliced (0.25″ thickness)
3 Roma Tomatoes, sliced (0.25″ thickness)
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
0.25 to 0.5 cup Olive Oil
1 TSP Basil
1 TSP Oregano
1. Spray dish with oil.
2. Lay eggplant slices in single layer on bottom of dish.
3. Brush oil on top of eggplant slices.
4. Lay tomato slices on top of eggplant.
5. Brush oil on top of tomatoes.
6. Add garlic, basil and oregano to top of tomatoes.
7. Roast at 350 F for 1 hour.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
9. Blend vegetables in a blender or food processor until smooth.
10. Store for use in other dishes (pastas, soups, etc.).