It’s all the buzz this weekend, the excuse to celebrate with friends for Cinco de Mayo. Do you need a last minute recipe? Here’s a quick guide to spice up that party you’re headed to (or to surprise your family tonight):
Black Bean Corn Salsa
2 cans of Black Beans, rinsed
1.5 cups of Fresh Corn, steamed and chilled OR 2 cups Frozen Corn
2 medium size Tomatoes , diced OR 5 Roma Tomatoes, diced
0.5 small to medium size Red Onion, diced
0.5 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
0.5 Orange Bell Pepper, diced
3 TBSP Freshly Chopped Cilantro Leaves
3 TBSP Oil
2 Limes, freshly squeezed
dash of salt
dash of cumin
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and chill until ready to serve.
Recipe is posted under ‘Angela’s Guacamole (Addiction)‘
Sweet Corn Cake
1 Stick of Butter, softened
0.3 cup Masa Harina (Corn Flour)
0.25 cup Water
0.5 cup Corn Meal
0.3 cup Honey
0.25 TSP Salt
0.5 TSP Baking Soda
2 TBSP Milk or Cream
1 cup Fresh Corn, steamed OR 1.5 cup Frozen Corn
dash of Chili Flakes (optional)
1. Combine butter, water, honey and masa harina in large mixing bowl and mix on medium-high speed. You should get a creamy texture when done.
2. Add corn meal, salt and baking soda in a small mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly using whisk.
3. Pour dry mixture on top of the creamed mixture.
4. Mix the two mixtures together until smooth.
5. Stir in corn kernels.
6. Pour cake mixture into ungreased 8×8 inch pan. Cover with foil.
7. Place the 8×8 pan inside of a 9×13 inch pan. Pour hot water into the 9×13 inch pan until half way up the sides of the pans.
8. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and let it sit for 15 minutes uncovered.
Mock-that-Margarita Lemon-Lime-ade Punch
12 Lemons, juiced
6 Limes, juiced
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Water
2 Liter of Seltzer Water
16 oz. Dark Cherry Juice or Stawberry Sauce
1. Dissolve sugar into water by combining these two ingredients into a small sauce pan. Bring a boil for 3-5 minutes. Allow to cool.
2. Combine sugar water, lemon juice, lime juice, and cherry juice or strawberry Sauce in a large container. Mix well.
3. Chill the juice mix or add to ice.
4. When ready to serve, add Seltzer Water.
(This makes ~2 Gallons.)
NOTE: Add additional water/ice to dilute as needed.